Sunday 29 May 2011

Featured Excerpt: Latoya

DSCF3578

Tell us a little about you……!       My name is LaToya. I have a BA in theater with a concentration in acting and I graduate with my MFA in May 2011 *deep breath*. I love to have fun and I consider myself a pretty goofy person…I kind of  have an obsession with makeup (don’t tell anyone) and I LOVE food. The treadmill and I are on visiting terms now. I love life and even through trials I feel blessed to have a life that is rich and full of wonderful people that reciprocate my love.

IMG_0293

2. When & why did you decide to go natural?    Last relaxer: Feb 2010; Decision to go natural: May 4th 2010. I was tired of getting chemically burned, wasting time at the salon, and not being able to get my hair to grow past my shoulders.  Big Chop: October 8, 2010

IMG_0027

IMG_0005

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

3. Were your friends and family supportive of your decision? If not, how were you able to move forward?      My friends supported my decision, but my mother and boyfriend at the time were very discouraging. My mother was worried about my career and not being cast because of my hair. My boyfriend said he DSCF3460 didn’t like the ‘unkept’ look. I actually ended up posting a video on Youtube talking about it and I used it as a kind of anchor to help me go through with my decision. I didn’t want to publically announce going natural and then let the negative thoughts put me back in the salon chair to get another relaxer. I have always been a strong person and I wasn’t going to let discouraging words change my mind. I put my foot down and said, “This is MY decision and though I love and respect you for sharing your concerns, I’m going for it!” I haven’t turned back since.

4. How long have you been natural for?   6 months on March 8 2011.

5. What’s your regimen?    Wash: Kinky Curly Come Clean or Pantene Pro-V Relaxed and Natural (once a week)  ~  Conditioner: Giovanni or Pantene Pro-V Relaxed and Natural (at least once a week)   ~   Deep Condition: Organics Olive Oil Deep Conditioner(looking for alternative-once a week)   ~  Leave-in Conditioner: Garnier Frutise Leave-in or Kinky Curly Knot Today (everyday)   ~   Oils: Jojoba, Coconut (everyday)  ~  Butter: 100% African Shea Butter (once a week)   ~  Strength: Chi Keratin Mist (once a week)   ~  Shine: Chi Silk Infusion or Biosilk (as needed)

DSCF3657

6. What mistakes have you made with your hair that you’ve learned from?  *I went natural once before (poor, in college, couldn’t afford relaxers) and I used heat EVERY day. Since I decided to go natural I have only used heat once to trim.

*I have learned to TAKE MY TIME when detangling.

*I don’t comb my hair dry anymore

7. What has been your favorite product?    Honestly, my Garnier Frutise Sleek and Shine leave-in conditioner. My hair LOVES it!

8. Do you have any hair goals? What steps are you taking to achieve them?   Yes, my main hair goal is and was to embrace my hair and learn how to take care of it. I grew up thinking ‘nappy’ hair was ugly, but now my view has changed drastically. My vanity hair goal is to be mid-back length. I want a big OBNOXIOUS afro.

9. What has the biggest milestone you have faced in your hair journey? How did you overcome this milestone?    I had been afraid to wear my natural hair on auditions. I always wore wigs because for fear of not getting cast because of my hair. One day I woke up to get ready for an audition and I didn’t put a wig on. Simple as that. Now I have made it a habit of wearing my natural hair out for auditions.

10. You love your hair because?    It’s versatile, thick, healthy, soft, fluffy,big, makes a statement, and literally brings out my natural beauty. It demands attention when I walk in a room and contrary to what I have been told before, it fits my personality PERFECTLY. I feel blessed to have hair this divine.

IMG_0302

11. Where can we find you (a blog, website,Fotki, Youtube, Twitter)?   Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/toyaboo2     ~    Twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/2Toyaboo2

No comments:

Post a Comment