Saturday 14 August 2010

Need a boost in your ‘Hair Growth?’ Anyone?

Caffeine & or Coffee for Hair Growth!
Studies:
Study proves caffeine in shampoo does penetrate to the hair follicle 
Posted on April 3rd, 2007 in Hair Loss News, Hair Loss Studies by admin | 1,333 Views | 
Caffeine is being used as an ingredient in some hair loss shampoos. The reason for this is that an in-vitro study was done where follicles were treated with a caffeine solution and it was found that caffeine blocks the effects of a DHT, the hormone that causes Male Pattern Baldness and damages the hair follicles.

Dr Fischer, who conducted the first trial, took scalp biopsies from 14 men in the early stages of hair loss. He extracted the hair follicles and then placed them in test tubes with solutions containing different levels of caffeine. The follicles that were being treated with caffeine saw their average growth increase by around 46 per cent and the life cycle of the hair extended by 37 per cent, when compared to the control group. This study prompted some manufacturers to add caffeine to their hair loss products.

In this study, researchers in Germany wanted to see if topically applied caffeine could be delivered to the follicle when being part of a shampoo.
According to their study they were able to prove that after 2 minutes of shampooing, the caffeine in the shampoo was able to penetrate into the scalp via the hair follicles and stratum corneum (the outermost layer of the skin).

This proves that shampoo is an effective delivery vehicle for caffeine, provided that it’s left on the scalp for 2 minutes or more.
Follicular Penetration of Topically Applied Caffeine via a Shampoo Formulation.








The TRUTH: I used coffee in a bottle of my keracare shampoo I wanted to get rid of………..,I know coffee in keracare it is the old formulae that has sulfate in and I am trying to slowly move away from sulfate. Although this shampoo was NOT drying, but I wanted to use it up and I needed something good to conduct this experiment with.
So I made some very strong brew coffee and add it to the shampoo along with some EVCO. I will admit it was moisturizing even the more. Washes out easily I did for 3 months weekly.

I honestly can not say if it boosted my growth, I have a lot of NG, but to say that it made a difference, I don’t know, one thing I did notice was the how soft the concoction made my hair felt. I also notice that it made my hair felt strong and a thick (almost coarse) in a good way. My hair is very thick already, so the slight texture change I notice. It seems to make my hair strand even more plump (coarse effect).

The only thing I got a little tired of was the coffee smell, I am not a fan of coffee. I don’t drink it, it was all right for a while but after 3 months, I could not take using it anymore and was glad that the shampoo mix was used up within that time.
Also coffee is meant to help with shedding………., It helps to a certain extent, but I have fun a much effective method for hair shedding. This method gives almost instant results, if not within the first application, definitely the second application, results are sure to be noticeable.

Stay tune to find what is my discovery for bringing hair shedding to an ALT!





4 comments:

  1. Are you referring to black tea rinses??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting never heard of this before. Sadly I am not allowed caffeine would like to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, thankyou for reviewing this method Leen!
    I am definitely not a coffee fan either and wouldn't like my hair to smell of it either.
    I don't think I'll try this, maybe when times get hard and I run out of product LOL! But I won't jump into it

    -breakandblossom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks-You for the informative post. I think the next time that I do a Henna or Cassia treatment I'll use coffee as my liquid and report to you my results.

    ReplyDelete